Important Notice: WonderCafe has Closed

The United Church has sadly come to the decision that WonderCafe needed to close and all new discussion ended June 2014. Read More...

stardust's picture

stardust

New Eco Tax Ont. July1/10

Here's some cheery  news in our Toronto Star this a.m..

I hadn't heard about it before or I didn't pay attention.I must have missed Stewardship Ontario's  2.5 million public education campaign about it. Manufacturers must pay the province a levy for recycling their products so its passed on to the consumers. Its on top of the new HST effective July 1/10.

Quote:

New eco fees catching consumers by surprise

Levies ranges from a few cents to several dollars

Jesse McLean Staff Reporter

A receipt shows the 13-cent eco fee paid on a bottle of dish detergent on July 7, 2010 at the Canadian Tire at Bay and Dundas.

A receipt shows the 13-cent eco fee paid on a bottle of dish detergent on July 7, 2010 at the Canadian Tire at Bay and Dundas.

google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);

Checking her receipt as she left a downtown Canadian Tire, Chris Colorado noticed a new charge.

Her $1.99 bottle of dish soap was accompanied by a 13-cent “eco fee.”

The levy for thousands of new products, from pharmaceuticals to fire extinguishers, quietly came into effect July 1, the same day as the harmonized sales tax.

But unlike that tax, provincial agencies have done little to publicize the new fees, catching consumers like Colorado by surprise.

“I’ve never heard anything about this fee. No one’s talking about it,” she said. “The fact they just put it without us knowing, I don’t think it’s honest. I don’t like it.”

Manufacturers must pay the province a levy for recycling their products. Some companies are passing these costs, ranging from a few cents to several dollars per product, onto consumers.

Stewardship Ontario, the agency overseeing the eco fees, began its $2.5 million public education campaign at the beginning of the month, which consists of posters and radio spots, as well as a group which tours public events and provides information about the program.

“We would rather spend the money to educate people than to spend the money months ahead to say, ‘Hey, there’s a new eco fee coming,’ ” said spokeswoman Amanda Harper Sevonty.

“Our message to consumers isn’t about the eco fees. Our message to consumers is about here are the materials and what to do with them.”

==

What gets the fee:
All aerosol containers, from paint to hairspray.
Rechargeable batteries, as well as non-lead acid motive batteries.
Corrosives and irritants, such as household bleaches, drain cleaners and detergents.
Assorted toxic, flammable and reactive products.
Syringes and needles.
Pharmaceuticals for humans and pets, including prescription medicine, over-the-counter drugs and natural health products.
Fluorescent tubes and bulbs.
Fire extinguishers.
For a full list and details on where to dispose these items, visit makethedrop.ca

==

By clicking the makethedrop.ca website and inserting their postal codes, residents can find which products they can recycle and where the closest collection site is located. There are 92 special disposal sites across the province.

Some retailers and consumers, however, say the silence has hurt the cause. If the consumers don’t know of the fees before they buy the item, they won’t know what to do with the waste.

When the first round of products was levied in 2008, Len McAuley was given a sign explaining the fees to customers at Pollock’s Home Hardware on Roncesvalles Ave.

“With this second phase, they haven’t sent us anything,” he said. “Basically, the list is getting longer. The government’s not communicating to the public.”

The fees now cover all aerosol containers from hairspray to whipped cream, pharmaceuticals, syringes, mercury-containing devices and other toxic, corrosive or flammable products.

The start date of the new levies was set when the program came into effect two years ago and by coincidence fell on the same day as the HST launch, Harper Sevonty said.

Progressive Conservative Environment Critic Toby Barrett criticized some of the fees as being a tax grab “under the guise of environmentalism,” noting particular concern with levies on fire extinguishers, which range from $2.22 to $6.66 depending on the weight.

“I feel the Ontario government has a bit of explaining to do. I think that would eliminate a lot of the frustration,” he said.

However, Harper Sevonty stressed that the fees aren’t a tax.

“They are the program cost to collect and manage this material out of the waste stream,” she said.

The companies that produce the goods are being charged a levy, which pays for the hazardous waste to be properly recycled instead of being dumped into landfills. It’s up to the manufacturers and retailers whether to download the charge onto customers, she said.

At Queen’s Park, Environment Minister John Gerretsen defended the recycling fees as “the right thing to do.”

He noted the stewardship councils were set up under enabling legislation that was passed by the previous Progressive Conservative government in 2002, so it’s odd that the Tories would be so critical.

“It’s not a tax. The government does not see one penny of it. It all goes to the stewardship councils to make sure that all of these materials do not end up in our landfill sites,” the minister said.

With files from Robert Benzie

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/833510--new-eco-fees-catching-consumers-by-surprise

Share this

Comments

lastpointe's picture

lastpointe

Heard about this on the radio yesterday.  Apparently dentist, doctors and hospitals aren't charged the eco fee for syringes but individual diabetics are.

The HST got all the attention and no one noticed this in the press.

I think Premiere MeGuinty, with his "no new taxes" promise, the debacle of E-Health, the HST, the G20 policing fiasco will face a pretty angry electorate next time.

DKS's picture

DKS

Fees aren't being charged by all pharmacies. I just renewed scripts this afternoon. No added charges or fees. And the site list is way wrong. It would have me go to the south end of Grey County for aerosols. Nope. Accepted in regular recycling or HHW days.

stardust's picture

stardust

We'll prob. hear more about it  on the TV News.  The sample receipt the Star  link gave us shows HST calculated on the recycled fee too. That's nice!  I don't know the fee rate? It shows 13 cents on $1.99 on the sample receipt. 26 cents on $4.00 et cetera?

DKS: I think its not compulsory for companies to pass it on to the consumers.See quote.

Credit: Nichola Evans

ShowPoll('Polling','/Toplets/Polling/caching/PollRequestMain.aspx', '', '/Toplets/Polling/PollResult', '/Toplets/Polling', '/toplets/polling/sample/polling')

There’s a new Eco Fee that’s been levied on many products – and you may have been paying it since July 1.

According to Stewardship Ontario it has “no authority over how stewards (i.e., industries) manage the fees within their operations” but one of their options is to “pass the cost on to retailers.”

Translation: Eco fees increase the cost of doing business and that means we pay more as the costs are passed along to us.

So why didn’t McGuinty just say that July 1, since ultimately the province presides over the entire system?

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/editorial/2010/07/06/14628816.html

What's Affected?

As of July 1, 2010, thirteen new categories, covering thousands of products, have been added to the Orange Drop list which now includes:

• batteries
  • pharmaceuticals
  • sharps and syringes
  • aerosol containers
  • antifreeze
  • drain cleaners and other corrosives
  • spot removers and other irritants
  • fertilizers
  • fire extinguishers
  • fuels and other flammables
  • fluorescents
  • moth balls and other leachate toxics
  • thermometers and other mercury containing devices
  • oil containers
  • oil filters
  • paint and coatings
  • pesticides
  • pressurized containers
  • metal powders and other reactives
  • adhesives and other toxics.
  •  
 P.S. Its on aerosol cans of whipped creme too!

Earlier 2009 Eco Fees: more coming....

quote:
In 12 months, phones, cameras and audiovisual equipment are scheduled for inclusion as well.

Read more: http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php/alldeals/comments/electronics_recycling_fee_coming_to_ontario_on_april_1/#ixzz0t8Phakt6

Recycling tires : this is good.

Witch's picture

Witch

We as consumers have always, and will always, bear the cost of recycling, either through taxes, or through extra costs to manufacturers passed on to us.

WE've been given a free ride for too long by throwing everything away. We can't do that any more, so we pay the cost we should have been paying all along.

GordW's picture

GordW

I agree with Witch.  WE have been underpaying for a lot of things for a long time (energy being a key one and opne that underlies all the others) simply because there has been no way to calculate the longer term costs--be that recycling or landfilling or emissions or...

FishingDude's picture

FishingDude

McGuinty has been about nothing but TAX increase since he hijacked Queens Park!

martha's picture

martha

There's a cost to dispose of these overpackaged products.  Don't like it?  Don't buy them. Same as HST: don't buy the pie, make it. 

Really tired of those that can't "afford" to be wasteful, thoughtless consumers. Maybe it's time to rethink your current purchasing habits.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

My only concern is that the manufacturers & stores have power over their formulations & packaging and should be held accountable.  Consumers though, have a responsibility to be informed and make choices about what they buy.

I have no trouble with this tax (except the meds).  I looked at the list and thought that I rarely buy that stuff anyway because they are easily replaceable with good things, better cleaners, fewer chemicals.  Honest - it shouldn't be that hard to reduce this to pennies a year, and good for all of us if we do it.

On the meds - that is distressing and shows a sign of powerful lobbying by drug manufactures perhaps... not good.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

but the tax revenues go to help with programs we need (we hope... and that's a whole different story)  In principle, I have no issue with reasonable taxes particularly on items we ought to be using less of.

Getting more taxes is not inherently bad.  What a government does with them is a different issue.  Ontario is pretty lucky in some ways compared to  many places, though I wholeheartedly agree it is far from perfect.  

My wish- tax the daylights out of air fresheners, bleach, cleaning chemicals, batteries, 90% of what Proctor & Gamble produces,  processed junk food, cigarettes, booze, luxury items etc.  If people choose to use such things, they can pay for it.

As I said, I purchase very few of the things on the list, so I avoid paying the taxes.  Alternatives are available and it just takes a bit of personal responsibility to change habits..  Aside from meds/needles, I dont' see why there is a problem.

RevMatt's picture

RevMatt

martha wrote:

There's a cost to dispose of these overpackaged products.  Don't like it?  Don't buy them. Same as HST: don't buy the pie, make it. 

Really tired of those that can't "afford" to be wasteful, thoughtless consumers. Maybe it's time to rethink your current purchasing habits.

I generally agree with this, but prescription meds are not exactly something I can make at home or control the packaging of.

MikePaterson's picture

MikePaterson

Ecotax? About time!!! (and it may still be too little too late). It's time to get much more serious abouit penalty taxing big cars and solo motorist commuters, inefficuient appliances, luxury goods, longhaul food distribution... as things are and have for too long been, all of these things have been subsidised by the ecosystem.

It's like picking up after your dog poop. You should do it. Picking up after yourself? Too onerous? Don't be feckless.

stardust's picture

stardust

Hi folks!

I haven't checked for info. lately but there has been controversery about the recyling programs failing or not being properly implemented?  Does anyone have updated info?  There has also been lots of talk about doing away with all the fancy not necessary packaging done in factories re our food , styrofoam cups etc. being replaced. The Eco charge is 6 1/2 % I think I heard on TV. So, its 13 GST plus 6 1/2 %  on certain products we need and use like batteries. Necessary? O.K. but its high!

Update from today's Toronto Star: July 10/10

Eco-fee Agency Says Levies Could be Buried in Price

Robert Benzie Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Stewardship Ontario, the industry group set up by Queen’s Park to oversee recycling programs, is urging companies to bury eco-fee levies in a product’s price so consumers are “none the wiser,” the Star has learned.

In an internal directive to participants in the program, entitled “Setting the record straight on eco-fees,” the organization hits back against negative media coverage surrounding charges slapped on aerosols, cleaning products, pharmaceuticals, and thousands of other potentially toxic items as of July 1.

“With new misinformation surfacing in media every few hours over the last day or two, is it any wonder that consumers are confused?” reads the Stewardship Ontario edict distributed Thursday.

“As you’re probably aware, this week eco-fees have been the subject of a media firestorm – unfortunately, much of the coverage to date reflects a basic misunderstanding of both our mandate and our jurisdiction,” it continues.

The missive, which includes talking points for retailers and manufacturers to use if faced with questions from consumers, says the organization is “working hard to correct these misperceptions.”

Among these “fallacies” is that “the eco fee is not mandatory nor is it a tax - stewards have the option to pass the fees they pay Stewardship Ontario on to consumers.”

“As one of the costs of doing business, the eco-fee may be reflected in the product’s sticker price - in which case the consumer is none the wiser,” the advisory candidly states.

“Or it may be itemized on the cash register receipt and added to the product price at checkout. In either case, none of the monies collected in the form of eco-fees go to government or Stewardship Ontario.”

Environment Minister John Gerretsen has emphasized that the recycling fees are “not a tax grab.”

“Look, (with) all of the programs - whether we’re talking about Stewardship Ontario, municipal hazardous waste . . . the tire programs or what have you - these are fees that are being charged by the stewardship councils to make sure that the products are being recycled properly,” Gerretsen said Wednesday.

“As part of that, we’ve allowed them a fee if the retailer wants to charge that - sometimes the retailer charges it, sometimes they don’t -- in order to operate the stewardship councils, to collect the material, to transport the material to make sure that it's properly recycled,” he said.

“We want to make sure this stuff stays out of landfill sites so that we don’t end up with contaminated landfill sites, of which we have many in the province of Ontario. In the long run (those) will take a heck of a lot of money to rehabilitate, to remediate.”

Progressive Conservative MPP Lisa MacLeod (Ottawa West-Nepean) said between the 13 per cent harmonized sales tax that also took effect July 1 and the “eco-tax,” Ontarians are paying higher levies on more than 10,000 different goods and services.

“Only Dalton McGuinty would try to hide one tax grab under another tax grab,” MacLeod told reporters at Queen’s Park on Friday.

“It didn’t take long before he was once again caught playing another game of ‘hide and sneak’ with Ontario families’ tax dollars,” she said.

“Ontario … cannot continue to afford Dalton McGuinty’s high taxes.”

NDP MPP Peter Kormos (Welland) said much of the problems lay with Stewardship Ontario itself.

“The industry is allowed to self-regulate. The board of Stewardship Ontario is all industry people. They select themselves, they have carte blanche to collect money from consumers and with no obligation to spend it in any particular way,” said Kormos.

“There are no real guidelines for how they invest that money. Nothing about this new eco-tax seems designed to ensure that toxic products, like dry-cell batteries, actually get back into appropriate facilities,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/834285--eco-fee-agency-says-levies-could-be-buried-in-price

stardust's picture

stardust

P.S. I've been googling for info.on recycling in Toronto. I found this article which says that Toronto makes money on recycling or has made money in 2008. I'm a bit confused then about these new eco charges?  Times have changed or there's something I'm not properly understanding?

In 2008, before commodity prices plummeted, the city earned $24 million from recyclables and managed to divert 44 per cent of city waste, including organics, from landfill.

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/columnsblogs/article/652648--how-toronto-sorts-out-blue-box-mess

MooseCreek's picture

MooseCreek

The new eco fees should be clearly posted in the store on the items that are affected. This way the consumer is not surprized at the check out register. This will empower buyers to buy non eco taxed items if at all possible.

This is a great business opportunity for retailers not to charge the eco fee.  It's similar to the fee for plastic bags at the super markets. Some places do not charge and I as a consumer I frequent those particular stores. It's not the monetary value but it's the principle of it all. I will not shop at a place that charges me 5 cents for a plastic bag. I recycle the bags so why should I pay a fee? 

A large part of the population is living paycheck to paycheck. It can only get worse as user fees are on the rise everywhere. Right now Ontario is full of sheep following their masters. Don't vote for the Liberals next time! People stand up for your rights.

Dcn. Jae's picture

Dcn. Jae

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

FishingDude wrote:

Was this some time since he was first elected?  Or were you referring to the act of being democratically elected in the first place as a "hijacking" of the previous government?

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

Meanwhile, the hyper-toxic beryllium gaskets we use in the mineral physics lab don't get the fee.  Go figure.

chemgal's picture

chemgal

Birthstone wrote:

My wish- tax the daylights out of air fresheners, bleach, cleaning chemicals, batteries, 90% of what Proctor & Gamble produces,  processed junk food, cigarettes, booze, luxury items etc.  If people choose to use such things, they can pay for it.

What do you mean by cleaning chemicals?  I would argue that to some extent, cleaning chemicals are required (water, acetic acid, sodium bicarbonate, sometimes stronger disinfectants for fungi or if a virus is going through the household/building).

I don't know all of P&G products, but what do you wash your clothes in?  Using a dishwasher prevents me from requiring some prescription medications (or at least allows me to use less) which I think I have to use dish detergent for.  I think they also sell some medications.

FishingDude's picture

FishingDude

Azdgari wrote:

FishingDude wrote:

Was this some time since he was first elected?  Or were you referring to the act of being democratically elected in the first place as a "hijacking" of the previous government?

From what I've noticed and maybe the conservative media types portray him so, he seems to come up with tax initiatives that hit the average person below the waistline. He had all the oppositional "right talking" before his election. Then once in...... don't you remember his famous quote?  I will not raise another penny of your tax dollars." All the morning talk shows highlighted him as the biggest lier. he doesn't get my vote-ever.

Tax for enviornmental purpose ok but give some heads up before you kick us in the ass.

FishingDude's picture

FishingDude

stardust wrote:

Hi folks!

I haven't checked for info. lately but there has been controversery about the recyling programs failing or not being properly implemented?  Does anyone have updated info?  There has also been lots of talk about doing away with all the fancy not necessary packaging done in factories re our food , styrofoam cups etc. being replaced. The Eco charge is 6 1/2 % I think I heard on TV. So, its 13 GST plus 6 1/2 %  on certain products we need and use like batteries. Necessary? O.K. but its high!

Update from today's Toronto Star: July 10/10

Eco-fee Agency Says Levies Could be Buried in Price

Robert Benzie Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Stewardship Ontario, the industry group set up by Queen’s Park to oversee recycling programs, is urging companies to bury eco-fee levies in a product’s price so consumers are “none the wiser,” the Star has learned.

In an internal directive to participants in the program, entitled “Setting the record straight on eco-fees,” the organization hits back against negative media coverage surrounding charges slapped on aerosols, cleaning products, pharmaceuticals, and thousands of other potentially toxic items as of July 1.

“With new misinformation surfacing in media every few hours over the last day or two, is it any wonder that consumers are confused?” reads the Stewardship Ontario edict distributed Thursday.

“As you’re probably aware, this week eco-fees have been the subject of a media firestorm – unfortunately, much of the coverage to date reflects a basic misunderstanding of both our mandate and our jurisdiction,” it continues.

The missive, which includes talking points for retailers and manufacturers to use if faced with questions from consumers, says the organization is “working hard to correct these misperceptions.”

Among these “fallacies” is that “the eco fee is not mandatory nor is it a tax - stewards have the option to pass the fees they pay Stewardship Ontario on to consumers.”

“As one of the costs of doing business, the eco-fee may be reflected in the product’s sticker price - in which case the consumer is none the wiser,” the advisory candidly states.

“Or it may be itemized on the cash register receipt and added to the product price at checkout. In either case, none of the monies collected in the form of eco-fees go to government or Stewardship Ontario.”

Environment Minister John Gerretsen has emphasized that the recycling fees are “not a tax grab.”

“Look, (with) all of the programs - whether we’re talking about Stewardship Ontario, municipal hazardous waste . . . the tire programs or what have you - these are fees that are being charged by the stewardship councils to make sure that the products are being recycled properly,” Gerretsen said Wednesday.

“As part of that, we’ve allowed them a fee if the retailer wants to charge that - sometimes the retailer charges it, sometimes they don’t -- in order to operate the stewardship councils, to collect the material, to transport the material to make sure that it's properly recycled,” he said.

“We want to make sure this stuff stays out of landfill sites so that we don’t end up with contaminated landfill sites, of which we have many in the province of Ontario. In the long run (those) will take a heck of a lot of money to rehabilitate, to remediate.”

Progressive Conservative MPP Lisa MacLeod (Ottawa West-Nepean) said between the 13 per cent harmonized sales tax that also took effect July 1 and the “eco-tax,” Ontarians are paying higher levies on more than 10,000 different goods and services.

“Only Dalton McGuinty would try to hide one tax grab under another tax grab,” MacLeod told reporters at Queen’s Park on Friday.

“It didn’t take long before he was once again caught playing another game of ‘hide and sneak’ with Ontario families’ tax dollars,” she said.

[/“Ontario … cannot continue to afford Dalton McGuinty’s high taxes.”]

NDP MPP Peter Kormos (Welland) said much of the problems lay with Stewardship Ontario itself.

“The industry is allowed to self-regulate. The board of Stewardship Ontario is all industry people. They select themselves, they have carte blanche to collect money from consumers and with no obligation to spend it in any particular way,” said Kormos.

“There are no real guidelines for how they invest that money. Nothing about this new eco-tax seems designed to ensure that toxic products, like dry-cell batteries, actually get back into appropriate facilities,” he said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/834285--eco-fee-agency-says-levies-could-be-buried-in-price

I like the high tax on mcguinty quote

jlin's picture

jlin

With regard to HST:   I am glad to pay taxes for the public use, I abhor the neoconservative take on tax money - money taken from the middle class to finance the corporatists and international trade.  We all know that the rationalized theory is "trickle down" but every Canadian knows that the "trickle down effect" ia a load of malarky and is roughly translated as "let me con you into supporting me for no mutual benefit  --   for no particular reason   --    except that I can get away with it."

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

chemgal wrote:

Birthstone wrote:

What do you mean by cleaning chemicals?  I would argue that to some extent, cleaning chemicals are required (water, acetic acid, sodium bicarbonate, sometimes stronger disinfectants for fungi or if a virus is going through the household/building).

I don't know all of P&G products, but what do you wash your clothes in?  Using a dishwasher prevents me from requiring some prescription medications (or at least allows me to use less) which I think I have to use dish detergent for.  I think they also sell some medications.

:)   well yes, water, acetic acid, sodium bicarbonate...  I use all those.  Occasionally I use stronger stuff, but in small quantities.  I haven't bought stronger ones in ages.  So, I hold to my comments that we don't need to buy these things very often ( I never said 'not at all')

I use a couple of different detergents, that are less toxic than Tide, though not perfect.  I soak clothes and treat stains when needed rather than relying on strong detergents for all my laundry.  Again, I didn't say "never".

I choose to buy them occasionally, and am satisfied to pay a bit extra for it.

Azdgari's picture

Azdgari

FishingDude wrote:

From what I've noticed and maybe the conservative media types portray him so, he seems to come up with tax initiatives that hit the average person below the waistline. He had all the oppositional "right talking" before his election. Then once in...... don't you remember his famous quote?  I will not raise another penny of your tax dollars." All the morning talk shows highlighted him as the biggest lier. he doesn't get my vote-ever.

Tax for enviornmental purpose ok but give some heads up before you kick us in the ass.

Of course he lies to get elected.  Pretty much all politicians do that.  Do all such politicians "hijack" the government?  I take issue not with your characterization of McGuinty, but with the idea that he somehow "hijacked" democracy when he was elected - twice.

If you want to see real "hijacking of democracy", look to the third world.

stardust's picture

stardust

Well I was wrong about the Eco rate. Its not 6 1/2 %. Nobody knows what it is. Very funny! 

I don't like the sneaky way its been done. From the Sat. Star somebody paid an Eco fee of $4.03 for a l litre bottle of driveway cleaner for $10 at Can. Tire. The store was wrong. I do hope so! A few days later she bought a 4 litre bottle of Simply Green barbecue cleaner at Can. Tire. Eco fee of 80 cents was charged. Wrong again. Article says consumers should pay only  1 cent on that size. The Eco fee is not a standard percentage of the purchase price.

It seems to me we'll  have no way of knowing what we're paying and I think its a total mess and a sham. It seems to be sort of based on litre size....but don't ask me ....we better watch our sales receipts. Its the principle of it. My God....can't Mc Guinty do better than that? There's no excuse, absolutely none for being so sloppy and dishonest in the handling of it.  Mc Guinty sort of seems to say it has nothing to do with the gov't so its not his problem. That's nice. The gov't isn't making any money on it so what does he care?  with Mc Guinty!

We can call Stewardship Ont.  416-323-0101 business hours or toll free  1-888-288-3360

stardust's picture

stardust

Toronto Sun July 12 ( if its still available on the net)

Eco fee comes under fire, may be illegal

Yes....a fine mess....! HST on top of it .....

Quote:

Sun block, vitamins, batteries, air conditions, travel alarm clocks, potting soil, laundry detergent and car wax are among the thousands of items subject to eco fees, in some cases doubling the cost.

The bill. (VERONICA HENRI/Toronto Sun)
The bill. (VERONICA HENRI/Toronto Sun)

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

well, they certainly need to clarify the amounts and the process by which the fees are decided and charged.  I won't argue that Stardust.  Not at all.  I don't mind paying  a reasonable amount for the rare times I purchase included items, but the key is reasonable.  And fair.

Witch's picture

Witch

Sounds like the Prov Govt has done a very poor job of explaining and reporting this tax.

CellKitty's picture

CellKitty

The problem isn't just Stewardship Ontario but the company that's behind it, Liberal Crony Capitalism, and the boondoggle that is ANOTHER example of the ineptitude of our current government. Does anyone remember eHealth?

Here's how the Eco Taxes came to be:
* The Ministry of the Environment gave this project to Waste Diversion Ontario (gov't agency).
* Waste Diversion Ontario hired private consultancy CSR (at the time a not for profit) to create a plan to deal with Household Hazardous Waste. No evidence of a competitive bidding or tendering process is online by the way.
* CSR created a plan for Stewardship Ontario and entrenched themselves as managers of the program.
* Waste Diversion Ontario approves Stewardship Ontario plan and the first round of eco fees go into effect.
* Waste Diversion Ontario at Ministry of Environment request hands off development of e-waste recycling plan to CSR. Again, no evidence of competitive bidding or tendering.
* CSR creates Ontario Electronic Stewardship. WDO approves plan, e-waste fees are introduced.
* CSR rebrands itself as Steward Edge, becomes for-profit entity.
* Steward Edge remains the management of Stewardship Ontario and Ontario Electronic Stewardship courtesy of your eco taxes.

Every business has to make a profit but McGuinty has given Steward Edge the right to set the taxes that goes to their bottom line.

It's just not right.

Birthstone's picture

Birthstone

Today's Toronto Star Article: "Canadian Tire Apologizes..."

Well there it is - essentially no one controls how it is charged and the corporations get away with not paying their share.   And they'll get away with overcharging until called to account. 

I have read some of Stewardship Ontario's explanations, and I recognize the purpose of the fees.  I still feel that I don't mind paying these pennies for dealing with the problems of waste.  I just wish there was some clarity & competence in administering the program properly.

stardust's picture

stardust

Further update from today's Star July 14/10

Fee May Be Revoked:

Critics Attack Mixed Messages in Eco Fees  ( Read comments)

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/835230--critics-attack-mixed-message-in-eco-fees

Birthstone: Agreed. Its just the way its being handled. It seems that when you do drop off certain items or products you may pay a fee on top of the Eco fee you already paid. Also the gov't is charging HST on the eco fee. Its a grab. I don't think that's right. The public is outraged with people saying they plan to quit recycling. Its too bad . Its a really major blunder.

stardust's picture

stardust

Comments from the Star:

How will this stop the dumping of toxic materials?

I fail to see the connection between this fee and proper disposal of wastes (such as batteries and corrosive materials) that should not go into regular garbage. Everyone writing here seems angry about paying and many are vowing just to dump their materials into the landfill stream. How is this fee going to change pollution and landfill overflow?

1oldbuzzard

I am confused by the Amy Cole's statement "While we are regulated by government, we are not a government agency and receive no government funding." So who pays for the expenses and salary for people working in Stewardship Ontario? I would be totally surprised if someone works for free.

Wallymart just got on my blacklist

A $9.49 Item turned into $14 the cashier informed me of the Government eco tax,I told him i read it was optional whether a company charges it or not,therefore when i dispose of the item,it will be at Wallmarts door as i allready pay garbage tax.... and there will be no further parchases at Wallymart.

Just 'vote' against it

There's an easy way to 'vote' against this tax. When it shows up on the invoice refuse to pay it. That's what I did when I bought a Blu-Ray disc player. I told the manager I could get it at another store for the listed price (no eco fee). Guess what ... the price was ajusted to match the competition. If enough people slow down the check-out process, I imagine the fee will magically disappear. And if it is 'rolled-in" to the price all the consumer needs to do is shop around.

double tax

So now we pay an ECO fee and then they hit us with HST on top of that. I hope everyone remembers all this at election time.

More ECO BS

I just take the empty containers of anything I buy which charges an eco fee and leave on the property where I bought it. If every body did this they my think twice about these charges.

Just more WASTE

Did I get this quote from the spokesperson Amy Cole" correct? "Our focus is on promoting awareness of the materials covered by our programs" > So this is to pay for "advertising", not actual municipal disposal / diversion / reclamation program costs? More BS and nothing useful accomplished. I am NOT willing to pay to be lectured to. Also "While we are regulated by government, we are not a government agency and receive no government funding" > so an Non-governmental agency is allowed to impose fees on consumer goods, not even consistent fees, without public debate about what items will be included & without public transparency and accountability for the use of the funds? Time to shut this Puppy down along with its industry appointed committees. A complete rethink and investigation by the Auditor General is needed - How many billions has been collected > follow the money. Such "fees" should be going improve public waster diversion, and improvement of sma

Recycling B.S.

First of all, let's not kid ourselves. This Province is not equipped to handle all of the products being recycled and a great percentage of it ends up in our dump sites. I went to Best Buy for a new computer monitor, was hit with a recycling fee and given a brochure on where I could go to dispose of my old monitor. I get around on a mobility scooter but the address given to drop off the old monitor was just around the corner so I thought that was pretty great. Doing my civic duty, I went back home, grabbed the junked screen and scootered my way to the recycling office...now remember I was told to go there by a government brochure telling me this was a recycling drop off centre...that turned out to be a Goodwill store who knew nothing of what I was talking about.

Time to go underground and online.

I guess I'll be headed to EBAY for my electronics, flea markets and dollar stores for my cleaning products. Now my money will be going to India instead of staying in Canada

@ ScottD

In other parts of the world, especially Europe, the products are returned to the place of purchase. Under this very poor plan, I have to bundle up all my crap and drive it to a disposal site. Just so happens in my area the disposal site is the regional transfer station 50km away from my house and they charge a fee based on weight for disposal. SO how is this a good program? I'll continue to toss all the bad stuff into a garbage bag and put it at the end of my driveway rather than incure another $50.00 fee for gas and time to "do the right thing".

It's not poorly explained, it's poorly implemented

A commenter below said that the idea was a good idea, poorly explained. The concept is reasonable, since in THEORY it amounts to a consumption tax. The problem is that people don't know what they're paying for. The eco fee is meant to support the disposal centres that exist throughout Ontario for various types of materials. The problem is twofold: 1) almost no one knows they exist, and 2) the depots are only open 2-4 days out of the week at hours that the average consumer couldn't take advantage of even if (s)he did know about the programs. So the tax gets collected, the service isn't used, everything ends up in the landfill, and the McGuinty government lines its pockets with yet another service fee. There's no environmental gain here whatsoever.

Eco fees do not encourage recycling

Steward companies paying any eco fees and retail customers paying eco fees in turn do not in any way  determine the disposal of anything! The end user can choose to participate in a recycle program or not no matter if companies or customers pay in advance of consuming any recyclable item. Fees must be paid to users only at the point of program recycling (orange drop) to encourage recycling. The government expanations defy logic!

It it looks, smells, talks and walks like a tax..

Then its a tax! The money goes into the blackness and is not guaranteed to fix the problem of disposal of any one item let alone all hazardous waste. Thus it is a tax going to general revenues whether it be business or some quasi-governmental agency. That agency created by government mandate sounds like another operation to hand jobs to party loyalists rather than having any oversight to correct any problems. Right now they spend most of their time and our money advertising.

Deposit / Return

I listened to a radio talk show last night. Here's the gist. Beer bottles have a deposit. Return them and you get the deposit back. With eco-fees, the consumer pays, but there is no incentive to return them to a recycling depot, etc. In fact, you may be charged again. So why would ANYONE not just throw it into their regular garbage and avoid this crap?

Potting Soil?!?!

Yes. Potting soil is included in the list. Now a quote "Diane Brisebois, president and CEO of the Retail Council of Canada, and the retail representative on Stewardship Ontario, said the eco fee serves as a valuable tool to tell consumers they're purchasing a product that may be hazardous to the environment." - How the frack is poiling soil hazardous to the environment???? WE NEED A REVOLUTION!

The Ombudsman will have his hands full...

Forget about their website and the unclear information and the passing of the ball. The bottom line is consumers are being billed an additional fee and someone is collecting it, if it is not this program nor the government, so who is?. I think it falls under the responsibility of the Provincial Government and we should all call the office of the Ombudsman to open up an investigation, in the meantime refuse to pay and protest to the retailer's managers every time a fee shows up in your bill. Direct them to this agency's website instead.

The website says it's 6.5 percent. Are they lying to us? And just what is the eco fee on? Is it the packageing or the contents. I bought a gallon of chainsaw oil. If you own a chainsaw you would know that the entire contents of the bottle is 'consumed' when cutting trees. There is no waste to be recycled other than the jug. So it has to be the jug right? I guess not as another poster stated that NatureClean products have no Eco Tax. I guess they don't come in jugs. Basically we have a group that sets fees as they see fit. A perfect oppotunity to screw us over and answer to no one. Nice job McGuinty.

What?

This is lame. There is no real accurate way for consumers to know what fee should be charged on what product. How do we know the retailer is remitting the collected fee so this Stewardship Council? I just picked up drycleaning and had to pay 43 cents....for what? The hangers and the plastic cover? How do we know more Canadian Tire errors are not happening across the retail board? There is no place to really verify. Sounds half baked.

Going about it backwards

How does a fee put any responsibility in the consumer for recycling? Absolutely none. We are just crossing our fingers that private Stewardship organization will somehow do our jobs - but they aren't in front of our kitchen garbage cans. How will they physically make us bring our hazardous waste containers to the drop-off, or recycle more products? There's no incentive. We're just covering someone else's butt and hoping they will increase recycling programs. Taxes won't trick people or companies into recycling. Create packaging that is easier to recycle for limited recycling plants, or punish those companies for making the products in the first place - but do NOT make the consumer pay. We're creating hostility against every environmental initiative because big companies are making the people pay ie. plastic bags. Big pool of money and no one's really saving the environment.

@TruCanadian

Okay, so you do not get it so I will explain myself, taxing basic hygiene requirements means that people will avoid these items, period, we have less and less money available due to excessive government and therefore, I know that I will be purchasing less soap because of this new TAX, and people who have even less than I will also. Hygiene should not be negotiable with anyone and should not be TAXED

This is a total scam

I'm afraid I don't understand why there is a disposal fee on prescription or OTC medications that WE INGEST. This whole thing is ridiculous!

40 % tax on bleach?

I urge everyone to take a bottle to the checkout and refuse to pay it after it is rung up. Let them restock it.

I seriously don't think any other party will eliminate these new taxes, they will just add to it. What gets me the most of this eco fee is the retail outlet is charged this fee and they pay it but then like the story says charge a 40% fee to the consumer on something they paid $2 on. The retailer is going to make a killing like they do on plastic bags. The local grocery store charges .05/bag and buys a box of bags of a 1000 for $30(or whatever) and they pocket a profit of $20/box. It's a crock cuz as reports have said, alot of recyclable items end up in the land fill anyways.

Shop Right

NatureClean products have no Eco Tax.

40 Percent Tax

I just paid 47 cents on a bottle of bleach at Canadian Tire. So what, now we have to negotiate with a check-out clerk every time we shop?

Since we are paying eco fees now on pretty much everything...

The landfills should have lots of extra money to sort and seperate my garbage. Therefore I'm now sending ALL of my trash to the landfill.....In fact, I think I'll order a 10yard skip and de-clutter my house ....

Funny, I don't see televeisions in that list ..

Just bought a tv from future shop....there was also an additional $20 eco-fee...It seems that there are big name retailers are charging this fee erroneously on purpose...Tv is going back for a refund. I refuse to be ripped off ...

Tax on tax - McGuinty Screwed the 'little guy' again!

We all know that our green bins are not processed they are just thrown out like regular garbage after WE follow the process, put up with the smell, bugs etc. Now we have more money being taken out of our pockets for a process that will no doubt not even happen. I"ve had it with Dalton. I don't care when the election is - I'm going to vote him out!

My Problem part 11

I was saying that with the HST added to the Eco Fee and considering the number of purchases in Ontario of these products on a daily basis, even using Llberal math, that adds up to a few bucks a day into the Llberal coffers. So for Mr Gerretsen to say it won't put any money into government coffers, is a bit off the mark. And as well, why was this Fee (read Tax) introduced under a cloud of darkness? Over to you Mr McGuinty.

Separating and recycling just ended in my household with this "tax grab".

How does the fee end up at the water treatment plant?

Dish detergent comes in a plastic bottle. The plastic bottle is no different than a plastic water or pop bottle bottle and should have no different cost to recycle than these. The detergent goes down the drain and ends up at my town's water treatment plant. How does the eco fee end up at my town's water treatment plant?

One has to laugh at the idiocy of it all. Get this:

McGuinty puts an eco tax of $0.14 on the CFL bulb when it's is the favoured 'environmentally friendly' light bulb in Ontario pushed by Toronto Hydro et al. Oh I guess he already knows that by 2012, the only light bulb we'll be able to buy is the CFL bulb as the old familiar incandescent bulb will be illegal to sell in Ontario.

Just toss it.

Having already paid the tax, er, fee, what is your incentive to make a special trip (burning gas and polluting the air) to dispose of things "responsibly"? Won't people just figure that, having already paid, they might as well just toss it in the garbage? Now if they had set a refundable deposit of some kind, it might have worked.

One of the taxed items is potting soil. They really are taxing dirt! But now that you're aware, once your plant dies, be sure to dispose of your dirt responsibly. We wouldn't want our soil to... er... get dirty.

Dear Stewardship Ontario,

If you are so concerned about the environment why don't you encourage the producers to put some common sense into their packaging. Postage stamp size memory card in 2 ft x 3 ft plastic packaging (not to mention that it requires a machete to remove the plastic packaging)... But I guess that's OK, since the bigger the package, the more eco fee you can collect, then more HST on it...and so on and so forth...

The first problem is that this tax, er fee came in under the cloud of darkness and Mr Gerretsen and McGuinty are trying to tell us that they didn't know about it and it isn't their fault anyway. I think Mr Hudak like a lot of us are questioning why Potting soil and grass seed are involved and why is the HST added to it as well.

@gfdsa

That is why a Star study found the much of the recycling collected ended up in landfills anyway. These are just added fees (taxes) taxes that are outrageous to most of us except those that seem to want these to relieve their environmentally challenged feelings of guilt. Somehow paying more for green products, or higher taxes and eco fees makes them feel better.

ILLEGAL TAXATION

Taxes can not be introduced without representation and both the green fees and eco fees constitute illegal taxation. A group of lawyers are currently challenging the fees which may result with a class action lawsuit being filed against against McGuinty. Not only is McGuinty a bonified liar but he is also operating outside of the law.

All For the Environment But...

I can't see any correlation between this tax and helping the environment. Will the same plastic bottles still end up in the landfill? Most likely will.

Potting soil is not just dirt

it contains fetilizer and other chemicals, hence the eco-tax.

Potting soil???

Got charged the new McGuinty eco-tax on potting soil. Potting soil??? What could be more biodegradable than potting soil. How does McGuinty plan to recycle potting soil?

stardust's picture

stardust

Update July 15/10

Not much new.....I think the eco fees will be displayed on the  store shelves. Tags on the products  was  suggested but that might be too much work  re existing stock etc. 

Quote:

Stewardship Ontario had $98.9 million in revenue last year with a surplus of $1.9 million largely because of higher than expected revenues from printed paper and packaging.

CellKitty's picture

CellKitty

$12.6 Million

That's what the company managing Stewardship Ontario projected as the "start up costs" associated with setting up the Eco Tax.

Not a bad paycheque if you can get it.

Full details on page 81 of Consolidated MHSW Program Plan Vol. 1 / (http://www.stewardshipontario.ca/sites/default/files/docs/Consolidated%2...)

lastpointe's picture

lastpointe

And now today they are cancelling it.

McGuinty has certainly had alot of missteps this term. 

stardust's picture

stardust

Yes...cancelling it ....good!

Rob Ferguson Queen’s Park Bureau
Published On Mon Jul 19 2010

Bowing to growing pressure from consumers and Canadian Tire over its eco-fee scheme, the Ontario government is killing the latest round of controversial charges on potentially toxic household products and going back to the drawing board.

Sources said Environment Minister John Gerretsen will announce Tuesday that the policy is being retooled — less than three weeks after the fees from embattled recycling agency Stewardship Ontario kicked in on thousands of household items from cleaners to fire extinguishers.

“The government will be looking at solutions to the concerns heard from Ontarians about the program that would ensure household hazardous waste continues to be diverted from our landfills, while ensuring that Ontario consumers are protected,” said a government source.

It was unclear whether retailers and manufacturers would still have to pay the eco fees to Stewardship Ontario — or whether they would get the same break as consumers.

The move came after senior government officials spent the weekend looking at options from banning the fees outright, scrapping and retooling them, or taking the responsibility away from the independent but government-regulated Stewardship Ontario and running the program directly, another source said.

No time line was set for revamping the fees, which took consumers by surprise when they kicked in July 1 along with the new 13 per cent Harmonized Sales Tax. Some retailers faced difficulty in calculating the fees and applying them to products, resulting in some shoppers being overcharged.

“The only question is what does the fix look like?” said one industry representative.

The government’s about-face comes after Canadian Tire announced Monday that it was scrapping eco fees on 8,700 items in its stores, saying the recycling charge is too confusing for customers.

“We are pleased Canadian Tire has made this decision,” Gerretsen’s office said in an email to the Star.

The move from one of the country’s leading retailers “is just further proof of the chaos at cash registers across the province and that Dalton McGuinty’s eco tax plan has been a disaster,” said Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak, who has pledged that a Tory government would kill the fees outright.

Canadian Tire had asked Stewardship Ontario and Gerretsen to take the controversial eco fee program back to the drawing board and come up with a replacement that makes more sense.

“Safely recycling toxic materials like rust remover or camping fuel is important so we don’t have toxic waste seeping into our landfills and environment,” Mike Arnett, president of Canadian Tire Retail, said in a letter to customers Monday.

But the company “can no longer support passing along a recycling fee to customers that has inconsistencies between products and is difficult to explain.”

For example, different bottles of bleach can have different eco fees depending on their ingredients and Ph level. And the rules required the eco fee on a boater safety kit including a bailer, whistle and waterproof flashlight be based on the total weight of the kit, not just the flashlight and its batteries to which it actually applied, Arnett added in an interview.

“We’ve come across some things that don’t seem to make sense,” he said. “Because these eco fees are based on ‘materials’ instead of ‘products,’ it means that two similar brands of cleaning products could have two different eco fees depending on slight variations in their ingredients.”

After Canadian Tire’s announcement, Stewardship Ontario said it will require “prior disclosure” under which companies making or importing products subject to the eco fees provide the agency with information on the fees they’re charging for validation and display on the Stewardship Ontario website.

Canadian Tire’s decision ratcheted up pressure over the program that has some retailers adding eco fees of up to $6.66 to the price of some products — such as hand sanitizers, fertilizer, bleach and fire extinguishers — to defray the costs of disposing them at the end of their life cycle.

The company last week apologized to customers for mistakenly charging higher than authorized eco fees because of difficulties translating the Stewardship Ontario regulations to actual products.

Those problems proved a lightning rod for complaints about the eco fees, which increasingly became a political headache for Premier Dalton McGuinty’s Liberals, who earlier this year scrapped a controversial new sex education curriculum and pulled it back for a revamping as well.

Stewardship Ontario apologized to consumers on Friday for confusion over the eco fees but shot back at Gerretsen for publicly “tarnishing” the agency with a letter earlier in the week demanding an audit and compliance program for retailers when that is beyond the agency’s scope.

Information technology staff at Canadian Tire were working overnight and into Tuesday to eliminate the fees from computer systems at the company’s stores across the province.

Star readers have also written about confusion with the new fees, such as C. Powell of West Hill, who pleaded in a letter to the editor on Saturday: “Mr. McGuinty, if as you say eco fees are to encourage recycling, please advise me how do I recycle fertilizer after spreading it on the lawn?”

Along with Home Depot, Canadian Tire has been one of few big retailers charging the fee, with others like Wal-Mart Canada Corp., Loblaw Cos. Ltd. and Shoppers Drug Mart absorbing it for now instead of passing the cost on to consumers.

For example, Shoppers has been assessing the fees while Loblaw stores were charging them only on compact fluorescent light bulbs and tubes.

Home Depot and Wal-Mart officials did not return calls from the Star on Monday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/837559--liberals-hear-consumers-cry-vow-to-retool-eco-fee?bn=1

stardust's picture

stardust

I like reading the  Star comments!

Comments:

Don't stop here

The eco fee thing is a mess but no one seems to think that the unrelated Stewardships for tires and electronics are any different. We already know that the electronic Stewardship is having serious problems and looking at the Tire stewardship web site will tell you that your used tires are being provided to manufacturers ( recyclers ??) who make products out of them ( and sell them at a profit). Never have I seen any complaint that these manufacturers are getting their raw material at no cost. The tire stewardship website talks abut eliminating the PILES of old tires. I once called one of the directors of the organization ( an executive of one of Canada's largest retail chains) and asked if she could tell me where 3 of these sites were so I could go and see them for myself. Her response was that she did not know where they were !!! Hmmmmm, does anyone think we just may have a problem here also ???

eco tax on camping fuel?

when i use this product, i put it into my campstove and use it to cook with. i do not generally pour it out onto the ground. of course i cannot speak to what other people do with this product, only what i do with it myself.

Please THE STAR!!!

This had nothing to do with the cries of the consumers!!!!! This has everything to do with the big businesess cries being heard!!! If consumers cries were ever heard, then there would not be any HST, Toronto Land Transfer tax. We live in a society where only Corporation's needs are met! Nice try. (I dare you to publish this, The Star!)

will someone please explain...

how does an eco fee have any impact on properly recycling hazardous materials?? Do our taxes not already pay for waste disposal & recycling, and if I have to dispose hazardous material I take it to the waste disposal site & pay out of my pocket there, ie. paint, batteries etc. How is this going to stop the average person from improperly disposing of hazardous materials into a landfill?

Other Eco Fees Need to Go Too

When you have the oil changed in your vehicle the business changing your oil changes you an Eco Fee. This used oil is stored then purchesed by a company that refines it and sells it as refined oil. Everybody is making money and we're paying for it. This is a joke/scam too!

I  think it's ridiculous to call this a fee rather than a tax. If it truly were a recycling fee it wouldn't be charged on consumables. I have no intention of recycling my dish soap. I'm going to wash dishes with it. McGuinty has to go next time.

SCRAP IT

Never mind retooling it, it must be scrapped. McGuinty's ineptitude is astounding. We have the OLG scandal, the eHealth scandal, three ministries currently under criminal investigation for corruption, the pharmacy war, the Korea solar power deal, the illegal green tax currently under investigation, increased smart meter costs, the health tax, the HST, McGuinty's recall of his proposed sex education, McGuinty's recall of Super Corp and now his recall of the eco fees. Clearly, Liberal McGuinty is not fit to govern as he has lied outright to the electorate and bungled one matter after another. So much for McGuinty's promise of no more taxes and honesty.

hmmmm...

I was wondering how the government would take the heat off of the HST. This is it. Create a "secret" tax, launch it on us without notice, have everyone up in arms over it, then take it away with much fanfare. So now we have a population thinking, "well, at least we don't have that other new tax", and the HST is now not as important to us. It's just like when that say property taxes will be an 8% hike next year. Then they say it's only going to be 4%. Collective sigh of relief. The government is running a rigged game and we're all set up to lose! When will we open our collective eyes and smell the crap they're shovelling!? There was much more public opposition to the HST. Why wasn't that axed? Because it brings in too much money. Eventually the sheep and lemmings will lose enough of their earnings and open their eyes. When they do, G20 riots X 20

real good examples as to why the ECO fees are a scam

"Safely recycling toxic materials like rust remover or camping fuel is important so we don’t have toxic waste seeping into our landfills and environment,” Mike Arnett," these products are consumed they are not recycled

Be very leery of McGuinty

If as I suspect, look for re-tooling to mean hidden and being re-implemented in secrecy. That is become the way Mcguinty is running this government.

Consumers deserve a reimbursement

The next course of action and is to demand reimbursement or compensation from the Eco Fees that was unfairly taken from us. Since this is the fault of Stewardship Canada and the government. I had to pay an extra $4 on a $60 printer I recently purchased at Canada Computers.

The real responsibility for less household hazardous waste products is for government & businesses to work together to produce alternative products; similar to reducing excessive packaging. Maybe consider using more glass than plastic for many food products that would allow for a deposit & refund recycling system or else develop biodegradable packaging that is totally recyclable using the current blue bin system.

Fee or Tax

So what does this fee actually do for the enviroment ? Is it going to stop people from buying these products ? NO ! Am I going to do anything differently with these products ? NO after I use them, the packaging just goes into the blue box.

Back to Politics topics